Saturday, July 11, 2009

After being crowned!

With Kara Jackson, Miss Idaho 2009, just after we were both crowned!
So, on the night of June 13, 2009 at the Morrison Center in Boise, ID an anxious bunch of contestants and audience members awaited the crowning of the new Miss Idaho Outstanding Teen 2009 and the new Miss Idaho 2009. As the time for the announcement came, all of the Teen contestants walked onstage. Before winners were announced, the emcee's were going to award the Spirit Award and the Talent award. The Spirit Award was announced first. I can almost remember perfectly what Mr. Lincoln Graves, one of the emcees, said. "And the Spirit Award goes to Contestant #7, Carley Campbell!" I was so honored to be given that award. The Spirit Award is voted on by all of the teen contestants and given to someone who embodies the spirit of the Miss America Outstanding Teen program. Dani gave me some flowers, we posed for a picture, and then I returned to my spot on the stage. Mr. Graves continued, "And the Talent Award goes to Contestant #7, Carley Campbell!" Wow!! To me that was quite an accomplishment. But nothing could compare to the whirlwind of emotions that I would be feeling in just a few minutes. My life was about to change. Mr. Graves announced the runner-ups.
Fourth Runner-Up: Alexis Chandler
Third Runner-Up: Shalese Kofoed
Second Runner-Up: Ashtyin Wahlquist
First Runner-Up: Jacqueline Lee
And then, the time we had all been waiting for had come. "And the new Miss Idaho's Outstanding Teen 2009 is (Looooooooooooong pause), Contestant #7, Carley Campbell!" My hand flew to my mouth and I think I let out a little yelp of astonishment and joy. I was so shocked, in a good way. Then I did something I never thought that I would do, I started shaking and crying. Crying! Oh well, it was an event worthy of tears. Dani hugged me onstage, I was given my flowers, and Dani shouted, "Are you ready for this?!". She put the sash on me (which came undone because the velcro came off one side of it. I didn't notice.) and then the crown. I guess I must have been shaking a little too much because Dani kept telling me to hold still. I tried my best. And then I took my walk and was presented to the audience as Miss Idaho's Outstanding Teen 2009. I was walking across this gigantic stage, with the lights on me, in this gigantic hall, and recieving a standing ovation by all in attendence. The feeling was glorious beyond description. I don't think my mind even registered what had happened until I walked offstage. All of the contestants got in order and walked back onstage to see the crowning of Miss Idaho 2009. Kara Jackson won! Congratulations darlin'! The pageant was over. Kara and I took pictures with our parents, the judges, the runner-ups, with the previous title-holder, and each other.
With Dani Beckstrom MIOT 2008 right after being crowned!
After Kara and I were released, we went to the Red Lion Hotel for the after-party. It was wonderful. Brenda, the Executive Director of Miss Idaho, asked me to give a speech afterwards. In it I thanked everyone who had helped me on my way and shared with them my excitement for all the opportunities ahead and my determination to do my best representing the Miss Idaho/America Outstanding Teen program and the state of Idaho. Then it was just pictures and talking to a few people. I was so tired. My parents took me home. On the way home, I reflected over the experience that I had just had. The girls that I had competed with were all remarkable, wonderful young women, that will do very well in anything that they choose to do. They were all so much fun and we all came to be quite close. I love 'em all wish them the best of luck in all of their endeavors! I am so honored and humbled to be chosen as MIOT 2009. My emotions and gratitude are beyond description. I am very excited and know that this will be an unforgettable year, and I will have the time of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Congrat's Carley you are going to have such an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey carley its taylor emily's friend. you seem really nice, congratz on having a amizing year!!!

    ReplyDelete